NEW! - Barriere Round Table Results - Strategic Action Plan (PDF)
NEW! - Children of the Dragon (Video FLV)
- What is “BE BARRIERE!”?
- What is an Official Community Plan and how
does it relate to “BE BARRIERE!”?
- The Importance of Community Involvement
- Official Community Plan Timeline
What is “BE BARRIERE!”?
“BE BARRIERE!” is the development of an Integrated Community Sustainable Plan or ICSP. This is a long-term community planning document that is developed by the community to establish the framework for the future vision of Barriere.
As a newly incorporated community Barriere has the opportunity to take a long term perspective on the future of the community in an interconnected manner. The “BE BARRIERE!” process allows us (residents, businesses and organizations) to ask the questions:
- What does it mean to be part of Barriere? and
- What is the shared vision that everyone can connect to, so that each of us can take an active role in implementing the plan efficiently using Barriere’s unique resources?
The purpose of “BE BARRIERE!”:
- DESIGN A COMPASS: Create a shared-vision & identify common principles;
- CONNECT THE DOTS: Look at issues in an interrelated manner;
- BE A TEAM: Share long-term strategies between organizations;
- OPEN DOORS: Foster a network to encourage capacity building & knowledge sharing;
- SAVE MONEY: Share resources (i.e. facilities, staff, services, data etc); and
- MEASURE-IT: Identify indicators to measure progress & success.
How long-term? “BE BARRIERE!” will ask each of us to look forward 50 -100 years in order to provide a structure & voice that speaks directly to the best interests of our next generation.
What is an Official Community Plan and how
does it relate to “BE BARRIERE!”?
An Official Community Plan (OCP) is a long term planning document used to assist with planning decision-making matters including the evaluation of future development proposals and changes in land uses. A good OCP helps to create the conditions necessary for the orderly and efficient use of the community land base.
An OCP articulates the goals and policies of the community on issues such as housing, transportation, parks, green spaces and community facilities collected through the ICSP process.
A Barriere specific OCP will be the "vision" as developed by the community itself on how to manage the social, economic, environmental and physical future of Barriere by guiding land use, development and transportation activities.
|Document Type||How Council/Community
|Intention of Document||Who/What/Why|
|Meat and Potatoes||
||Where, What, When|
The Importance of Community Involvement
An OCP reflects the ideas and input of the people who live and work in the community, it is developed through community involvement and speaks to the unique context of local concerns. In Barriere community participation is the key component in the creation of a Barriere specific OCP. Please Join us in discussion about Barriere's future and provide your input on various topics including:
- Transportation, Parks, Recreation, Open Space & Trails
- Economic Development
- Food Systems
- Energy & Climate Change
- Arts & Culture
- Growth Management
An Integrated Community Sustainability Education Committee has been established and includes the following members:
- Councillor Rhonda Kershaw, chair
- Mayor Mike Fennell
- Councillor Virginia Smith
- Councillor Glen Stanley
- Councillor Ward Stamer
- Bill Humphreys - public at large
- Margaret Houben - public at large
- Tina Donald - Simpcw First Nations representative
Official Community Plan Timeline